Sunday, August 20, 2006

Paint on the road


So , I went for a nice ride with Merkle today out Calaveras(leaves are changin just a little), up Sierra and back home. 60 miles of fun and conversatin'.

While slugging it out up Sierra , I had lots of time to survey the names on the road, Levi, DZ was all over the place, Simoni, and Landis.

Forlorn, fading names.

Mixed feelings about pro cycling right now.

I really liked this article by Magnus B. on the doping.

Kind of drew a parallel I could understand. I work in a place were we have been randomly tested for years, yet last month we got a visit from the company drug czar, informing us there have been WAY too many positives this year for amphetamines.
Lot's of rumors fly about individuals, but nobody really knows, and the individuals in question certainly are keeping it under their hats.
Sometimes a name will come out, a firing or resignation. Usually it's a big suprise and not the usual suspects.

Kind of like the bike world sometimes.

10 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

funny which jobs get drug tested.
as a teacher, you are drug tested before your first job, but never after then.

but when changing districts (which I just did), you do have to sign another oath swearing to uphold the constitution.

now there's some food for thought.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

a-cat: the constitution of what?

Bezerkeley?

-

Gman: i think that meth use is just a huge problem in our society. i would even say that i suspect it is used by some in the local racing crowd.

which is scary.

i'm not surprised at all that it turns up in the workplace....

X Bunny said...

how many does it take for there to be "way" too many positives??!

Ron Castia said...

5... no, 3

Allison Krasnow said...

pab:
damn good question. i signed the same thing in 2 districts. must be the feds. behind this operation. you think those dover folks teaching creationism signed it?

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

gianni is gettin' all sexy in his postage.

Gianni said...

Ali- It's all politics as to who actually gets the test.
Testing teachers= big time votes.
I got it due to the commercial license, which apparently puts me in with the airline pilots.
XB- all the federal programs have limits that if you exceed you get tested more. It's a big game to keep your positives down so your whole pool of people don't get tested every month and prolly triple the cost.
Testing= big game. Sound familiar?
OV- I've got a weakness for women wearing wings :-)

Chico Cyclist said...

Loved this post Gianni. No, not the drug testing part. The TOC part - that was a great race to watch/marshal. Can't wait for it to come back. Like you, I have some mixed feeling about the pro ranks now - but I still have a yearning to see that race again.

Johnny GoFast said...

I want to work where you work. I can't score any good dope from my people. We did have somebody come to me once claiming "Judy" was smoking pot at lunchtime. They asked me what I was going to do about it and I said, "well first I'm going to lunch with Judy, and then I'm going to keep us both away from the heavy equipment." I was met with silence.

Ron Castia said...

Hey Bubba, the weather for the Saturday WOT ride calls for a Tsunami.