Sunday, October 01, 2006

CCCX #2

Wow all I can say is from my perspective people are FLYING already.
Had a decent race for me, a coupla bobbles early, then a fairly good race.
Two years ago when I last raced decently, my fitness today would have got me a 5th or so.
Today I got 12th in the 35+B.
I think I'm honestly coming along, learning a few new things, but doing OK fitness wise.
Them boys are just relentless killers.

The B's got a 15 second head start today and were caught by the first barrier.
I saw a few guys sneak into em ,disappear from view, and that was the race-winning move.
I had me a good battle with my buddy Mark from Pen today, I thought I had outfoxed him by rotating off the front on the climb, and got myself dropped from the group when another guy attacked and held it all the way, kicking myself not to have stayed up front in the gutter and controlled.
Rolled around and socialized for a while, then it was time for singlespeed pleasure.
Man, I need a smaller freewheel.
I ran outta gears early and often again.
Changing to a rigid fork helped alot, and I got away with working on my bike the night before a race.
Watching the A race from my bike was a treat, a vicious battle with falling off the group, attacks and bridging all featured, all the good stuff and clean clean lines.
If I could only ride half that smooth.
The cross vibe- just so damn cool. Many of us battle on the road all year and never speak. Maybe the scene is a little bigger, but I think it's the fear and distrust of the mayhem caused with a slip of attention. In the 4/5's you just never know what's coming, and there's a new loon every minute.
Cross has a way of sorting itself out, and the crashes are usually just a matter of some skin. The nature of the suffering brings out a special breed. Welcoming the suffering into every fiber of your being is what it takes.
Great course, I guess 4 zillion homes will be built here soon and our little playground will be taken away. I'm gonna miss it.
Now to take a few easy days and let the training soak in. It's been 3 weeks of hard hard work, time to relax a little before Hell-yah.

5 comments:

X Bunny said...

i don't want to lose the happy trails!

Gianni said...

I'd like to get down there and just ride sometime.
Greg and I had a nice ride between races for about half an hour- not one car.
Nice!

Johnny GoFast said...

Great post and can't agree with you more about the vibe. Road racing is so uptight and I myself, as you will recall, have gotten caught up in all the angst. I used to laugh at roadies and the attitude and sometimes now I see one in the mirror. Oh the horror. Racing Cross on Sunday at Hellyer park for the first time this year and a smile is coming across my face as I type. Hope to see you there and keep the recaps coming. They are motivating.

Gianni said...

Racing the A's, JS ?
I'm going back and forth between true torture or just mediocre torture.

Johnny GoFast said...

Punching yourself in the face for 45 minutes feels better afterwards when you know that you were doing it with the "A" gloves on. Either way, it's painful and wonderful.