Saturday, September 30, 2006

Chicken Murderer


Sitting at one of my fave spots last night in Oakland- Los Petates" The best Chicken In Town"- now that's a owner with some confidence, eh?
New guy on the crew pipes up-"You're an eater.
Huh?
"I've been watching you. You love food."
Ummmm, doesn't everybody?
" Just fuel to me."
No joy? No savory goodness? NO GAWDAMN REWARD?
" Just fuel. I'll have a quarter chicken and a box, please."
Hmmm. This boy is awful funny. I'm gonna keep my eye on him.

I like the bird. One of my favorite tri-relay team names -" Eat More Chicken".
I understood.
I used to swear it off, just eat veggies and such. I also used to feel light headed a lot, especially when busting down a big week of miles.
I got some really good eggs at the market the other day- you can really tell the difference, nice and brown, different sizes from different birds, and a little richer. Yum.

Los Petates- Foothill x 42nd Ave, Oakland. Dude BBQ's in the back like all day and night on the charcoal while the birds soak in chile and epazote. Mister Barbacoa is gonna get emphysema by the time he's 40 with no hoods sucking the bird smoke away, but the smoke fills Foothill blvd on a Sunday and pulls folks right out of their cars.Good tortillas and salsa are all you need to get down.
Roli Roti is like no other truck operation around. They hit various farmers' markets and when their done for the day, they pack it up.
Hit the WOT ride in Pleasanton, then stop for a chicken and some potatoes at the market when you return. Grab a cookie from the feel good bakery next tent over and yer set. Squeeze the lime over it and eat the crispy skin.
Headed over on the ferry to see the Gigantes last year and cheer for the doper. Me and OG got dropped off at the ferry building instead of the ballpark by mistake. I'm pissed and getting worse thinking about OG going ten blocks on foot with a walker, when I see the Roli truck with the fiberglass chicken roof on top of the pier at the SF Farmers' Market. Yesss, I score two birds and some potatoes, and we catch a cab and walk to the seats.
Best food in the park that day, bar none.

3 comments:

Ron Castia said...

How about some of those roti birds for the party?

Gianni said...

Grillmaster Jim is doing a mixed grill with chicken, red meat, shrimp, mussels, and Veggies on a separate grill.
Sides will be decided in a day or so, probably Roasted Corn Salad, Potato Salad, Green Salad, and I like a Rigatoni e Spinaci with gorgonzola.
The extravaganza is coming!

Ron Castia said...

I am hungry.