Thursday, September 21, 2006

Cross Geek

When the air gets that little snap to it, my mind drifts to more exciting things than pavers and plants.
After last season went to out the window due to surgery and overall stress, I've got two years of the itch saved up.
I want some new tires and can't decide. The Tufo clinchers are not as good as advertised, they can be pinch flatted, as I found last week. Also, they require quite a bit of pressure to keep them on the rims. They are very supple things, though, and quite quick and handle well, not usually things that are used in the same sentence regarding cross meats.
I'd go with real tubies, just getting more wheels is kind of a pain in the ass.
I'm thinking Michelin, time honored and supple.
The Kendas are not bad for training.
The Schwalbes are getting some good press as well.

Hmmmmm.

Figuring out the water bottle/ feed thing. Doing C's and B's, if I had no one to feed me things would be ok for the shorter races.
Doing a hour in September? I need to figure something out. I used a cage last week, not as bad as I thought it would be, though my arm has some strange bruises on it.
Camelbacks?
Damn they ain't cool, but they shore do work.
Maybe a bottle in the jersey for the first few laps? Hard to get in the heat of the moment.

hmmmm.

Goofy cross geek.

4 comments:

X Bunny said...

keep in mind that everybody got a flat this weekend so i don't know if you can judge your tires based on just that--not that i know anything about tires

if you see me, ask--i will feed you if i am able

but otherwise the bottle in the pocket seems the best other option

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

yeah, i tore a tufo 'clincher' right off the rim a couple times last year. gonna go with the regular tubies this year. didn't have them on sunday and flatted a regular clincher. There were loads of pinch flats out there, as well as some goatheads. kind of an annoying way to start the cross season.

Ron Castia said...

And one Gawd Damn NAIL.

Gianni said...

Damn goatheads, I got two of em today just riding around, to find my CO2 was empty.
One of those days....
Tire pressure- a art and science rolled into one.
Get it right and your golden- miss the mark and have a long day.