Sunday, September 17, 2006

Cross crashup

Shot up to Folsom today with the Nome, he talked me into doing the A race followed by singlespeed pleasure.
After a easy ride up, ummmm, I guess I didn't leave enough time, as we had roughly 30 minutes to get our gear together and register.
Not too good, I like to look at the bobble-spots, ride em again and again. Sometimes walking the course has proved smart as well.
Possibly worse than no lookie-loo time was the total lack of a warmup, especially racing with mutant a-class younguns and geezers.
We enjoyed a wacky start Le Mans style over a chip pile, and we are off. Hanging in ok, we drop down some rocky trail and I slingshot around a guy on the right, only to see what he was braking for, as I drive into a hole that deepens by the second off to the right. No time to pop it up, it's about a foot + at the end and I'm in the drops anyhoo.
Pow, I eat shit and enjoy a bloody knee, but miss getting run over by the herd. I jump up and get into the flow again, hit a little paved descent to a dirt connector back to pavement. I then proceed to drill a rock dead on with the tire I forgot to pump up from two weeks ago, and flat a new tufo.
Mmmm, welcome back, Dude!
I run around and back to the car/pit and grab wheel two and restart at the very back of the herd. Slowly work my way up a few spots, and go to school on the45+ A guy in front who is carving the sweet lines and cleaning the back barrier/runup that is eluding me.
One to go and I flat on some rock on the descent again and eat the shyte again on the same freeekin' knee.
No more tires available so I go get the SS MTB and do the last lap on that, at least getting a good feel for the MTB on this course.
We take a break at the burb while I pick rocks out of my leg, then the SS guys and 40+ B are ready to roll together.
I'm running a 32 x 16 and could have gone a little taller, maybe a 14 like Nome, who is barking instructions at me from behind on the first lap. I was running out of gears quickly and would get passed back on all the flats and downhills, but it was much fun on the technical stuff, just letting it roll.
I was chasing the ageless John Elgart and making time when the fellow in front of me decided to throw down a full slide tackle that I had to reset after, but all was good and an hour and forty-five at race pace in the bag.
Kind of questionable results, but I wasn't here for that, just to race with buddies and see where I'm at.
My riding, sloppy, man.More technical riding on the crosser is needed badly.
Running- best it has ever been, the work is paying off, the knees stayed high on a pretty tough runup.
Fitness is about where I thought it would be, no short interval work yet, but once I got warm, I felt pretty good. I'm sure there are some pics of me making the ugly on the internet already, but that's just my style, all snot hangin' like.
Fun to see all the bloggo folks, PAb and XB, Groove and Petit, thanks for cheering!
Bummer to the Nome for taking a nail for the team out there, you were bringing the lumber for the second round, dude!

5 comments:

X Bunny said...

i didn't realize you were riding a single speed--you animal!

this was a good race but there are even better ones to come

we better see you at the surf city series--do you have a halloween costume yet??!

Gianni said...

First bike was a regular crosser, when that got destroyed, I went with the trusty Redline.
I looked for you guys after the first race., but you must have left early.
I think I am going to make Watsonville.
Nome, myself, and our better halves will be at the Riverbank Century during the first Surf City race.
Those are fun races in the cruz.
Did you race?

X Bunny said...

yes indeed-ee

you didn't notice us women lighting up the course before your race?

wish the fields were a little larger, but it was fun!

Ron Castia said...

I saw you out there XB, I thought I saw Pab swapping a wheel or something on your bike.

X Bunny said...

yeah--i gotta flat like everyone
and he was right where i needed him for a quick front wheel change

we usually have spare wheels but we weren't home yet from vacation and didn't bring them on the trip

the rider behind me caught me but i was able to pull away again....

unfortunately when pab flatted it was a rear and our shimano/campy differences didn't allow me to reciprocate....