Sunday, October 22, 2006

Days Of Thunder

Robert Duvall Character To Tommy-Boy Cruz-" Go through the smoke, Cole! You gotta drive through the smoke!"

Yah, there have been days in my short bike racing time that this advice has come in handy.

The Albany Crit comes to mind. I went through the hole that day, only to find another racer laid out in front of me by the madly exploding crash from hell. Had to eat some of the island that day, glad to come away with nothing more serious than some dirt in my mouth and a sore neck for a coupla days.
Well Pilarcitos #2 kicked up a little smoke taday as well.
Good tough race in the 35+b, I got a spot right behind the blessed ones with the callups.
Hard sprint to the first corner with some shoulder action with another fella right from the get go.
Clipped a wheel on the first barriers but stayed in the front game till I had a small problem that got bigger on the last set of barriers when my bike went out from under me in a dismount.
Me= hacker supreme
Drove over a few wheels as guys would attack before a corner and grease it right out in front of me. Missed more than I hit though, so I guess that's a sign of progress.
Battle in the second group was pretty epic, I fell off and chased back more than a few times.
Almost made it back at the end, diced it up with one fine fellow and held back for the sprint.
Patience not one of my virtues but I forced myself to stay on the wheel and not go early, weathered his attacks, got to the chute, saw the hole on the right.... and he shut the door on me into the barriers.
Perfect move, a little nasty, but perfect.
Gotta give some props out for that one.

10 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Practicing the patience will payoff.

I am not a proponent of taking people to the barriers though. I think it's better to battle it out with honor and may the strongest man win.

To me, taking people to the barrier or curb is like tossing sand in the opponents face during a duel.

Ron Castia said...

Bad form.

Gianni said...

Maybe to clarify, it wasn't a savage, chop yer freakin wheel one.
It was a perfect, open and shut the door, just where I lost enough momentum to not be able to jump to the wide open other side with my wheel stuck in there.
It's all good.

Johnny GoFast said...

Good to see you duking it out there yesterday. You looked at the limit when I saw you go by. I gave you a shoutout, but you looked lost in the vacantness of your brain basking in lactid acid buildup. Not sure you heard me and if you did, not sure you could comprehend english at that point. Later, I would race the whole damn thing in the death zone eventually setting a new max HR. Oh the bliss of cross.

Gianni said...

J- mmmm the limit.

Missed yours, I had to roll quick like for the rest of a wild day cheering zillions of hot runner girls at the Nike Womens Marathon.

Ron Castia said...

I hope for your health you were only cheering one particular hot runner girl.

Gianni said...

Oh yeah, only one.
Yesterday really needs three posts, the race, the race, and the party.
Much postage available for each.
I'll get on that.

Gianni said...

Petit- wish you guys were coming along next weekend.
See ya 'll soon.

Anonymous said...

Do you really think there won't be any wine there?

Anonymous said...

Lost in translation.