Sunday, October 08, 2006

Pilarcitos One

Great day in the park, brought along reluctant teammate Jimbobo and the more reluctant daughter o'mine.
Mom was running the Rock'nRoll HAlf Marathon, so I had the childcare du jour.
Super vibe, lots of props and nods, just what cross is all about.
Only bummer was when the ranger asked me to not have our picnic in the road. Huh? I was STRETCHING DUDE and today bikes ruled that parking lot anyhow. The only guy driving around was Ranger Rick.
Fun race, I was busy yakking with Dave from SC when he pointed out I might want one of those places in the 60 guy pack that started the geezer B's. Grabbed a 4th row spot and decided to ride carefully and hit the technical mounts and dismounts well and work my way up.
No crashes and we are off, I moved along into the gaps and employed some new skills I've been practicing on the dismounts, making up spots on the runup every time for the first 4 laps.
Eventually reached a place where I couldn't close to the next racer, I would get close, but he would hold me off.Kept trying though, cause the next group was 10 seconds or so past him and together maybe we could have gotten to them
The back of the course was a weird bumpy with grass over the holes, hard to pick a good line for me, and I lost time here.
Also the juniors ran concurrently and were like little rolling, blocking barriers. Twice I got close to my man and got fouled up by a lapped junior in a barrier section, but that's on me for trying to get around there.
Anyone that bumps a junior while in a race should get a 1 place penalty, new rule. The kids are out there doing their best often with bikes that are too big and heavy as hell to pick up for them,
and for some middle aged loon to scream or otherwise act dumb... just not cool.
Great times, saw so many cool folks out there, I wish I could have stayed and caught the later battles but I had B-day parties and other blah blah to do.

3 comments:

X Bunny said...

"like little rolling, blocking barriers"

pretty funny

and you are right on with passing etiquette--same thing could be said for the As passing the Cs

Johnny GoFast said...

Good to see you out there. Tough course for sure. Saw one of those little dudes out there that you refered to. He was pushing this 30lb something from Sears around that course. Either very inspiring or very bad parenting. Can't decide which.

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

juniors rule.....and so do the adults that recognize that!

Hey, XB! Did you get buzzed by the As? Have I got a story for you from a couple of years ago....sometime.