Monday, October 30, 2006

Spidey don't like sticker bushes

Gawd I love this series.

Thanks you VB and crew for bringing it back once again.

I don't go way way back, but it was my first cross race like 7 years ago. Fort Ord- the sandy side by the beach. Me and the Seal get there early-like with no one there. Dude shows up with a van and starts blasting surf guitar music out of some giant speakers. And the race was on.

Missed it last year with the little owies down below, but all is better than ever now and I have been excited about this one for a while.
Somehow I have never been to Watsonville, but have always heard good things.
When I heard about "The biggest runup this side of Gallipoli", I was on it. I'm stupid like that.

Saturday night we stay in the fairgrounds parking lot with the Nome/ GT clan, huddled together in a Outback circle while a Open Modified race roars on the racetrack, and 700 people attend a berry processing companies' party with a open bar next door in one of the giant buildings.
Nevertheless, we had a goofy fun time and all was calm by 11:30 or so.
35b race went first and it was a doozy. No callup for me after missing the first one, but I have been working on the little things and got myself into about 7th when I noticed a gap opening in front during the spiral of doom. Now or never and I bridge to the top five guys who are steaming away and catch on by the top of the runup. A small crash messes them up some and whittles it down letting PAb-zilla ride away. I had thought about how this might play out before the race and with a huge portion of the course exposed and non-technical, planned to sit on and take a occasional pull.
Now if my fitness would catch up with my bright ideas......
I went for the bridge and was joined, then dropped by a Webcor guy who did make it to PAB and ended up winning. Gave up a couple more places and thought I could get it back, but just ran out of real estate, a race that short (30 minutes) requires a almost crazy impulse to keep the pedal floored like there is no tomorrow, because there isn't.
Ended up fifth which is the best so far and I'm a happy boy.

Costume race- oh how much fun- costumes and bikes, gotta love it.
There are a million pics swirling around the net better than anything I have on my camera, but that was just plain goofy and fun.
Anytime short cuts are not only permitted, but encouraged, that's just silly and cool at the same time.
Oh, and don't run up a hill filled with little thistles in a spidey suit, least you look like a pincushion by the top.

7 comments:

X Bunny said...

i think you got lost during one of your shortcuts--where in the world did you find stickers?!

Gianni said...

Chasing a giant strawberry up a hill on the backside.
There was a little wood sign that said exit.
If you ran up that evil hill and jumped a concrete barrier, you probably cut off, oh, 10 seconds.
Great job riding the tandem on that swirly!

Johnny GoFast said...

Great report and finish.

X Bunny said...

next time you'll appreciate the work jen and i did to de-sticker the run-up and stay on course!!

Brent said...

nice job Spidey.
The best part about cheating in the costume race is I win and I got to do the course in reverse. The Run up was crazy fun to descend.

Thanks for coming out.

Gianni said...

To the whole crew out there,GREAT JOB.

Anonymous said...

Steegar Booshes!