Sunday, July 23, 2006

I came for the pizza but got wine instead

Albany Crits
40+ 3/4

Teammates, Dave A. and Mike B.
Plan, get Dave OTF, and follow Mark Patton at the end. We start in the back, a few minor fender benders, and about 15 minutes in Dave moves up. I follow him off, then soft pedal and gap. He gets a little company, but he's going like a freight train. Berkely works with us, as does Newman's just cause we're cool. Dave wins two primes before being dragged back, and informs me it's my turn. I let a guy go off, bridge to him, but he's gassed. I hear it's a prime lap and gun it on the hill, dropping him and going solo for a few, winning two primes myself. The announcer keeps calling me Dave, he got used to seeing a EMC off the front, I guess. I slide back and slot in with 4 to go, with one to go I'm looking good on Pattens wheel, but we have a mixup and get swarmed as Patten jumps early, I chase and sprint at the end for 9th, cool!

E-4 race- crazy crashfest. The same corner that everyone rolled through 3 wide in the previous race was a mess. Too many crashes to count, I ate a little median strip and got a free lap, then 2 laps later there is another guy on the ground. This time they stop the race, now all the loons that were OTB get a fresh start. There are many more adventures on straights, turns, etc. I start looking for a break cause I'm not staying in this mess. I get in a promising one right as they announce a prime with 2 other guys. I originally wanted to work together but they ran out of steam, so I got a nice Ritchey umbrella.
I hear another prime announced a couple laps later, on the backside they all balloon out looking at one another, so I go again with kind of a wishy-washy move up the inside and get another one. I stay away for one more, but TP has like 10 guys in this race and they are coming hard with 4 to go. I slide to the back, then see my wife and decide to call it a day. Stop to give her a kiss, and finish OTB safe and sound.
Days' total- 4 primes, two bike fits with Curtis Cramblett, noted PT and coach, one wine tasting experience donated to the party kitty, and my favorite, my new cross umbrella for December.
The EMC section of the median strip was rockin', much love, much love.

Little C and Little M got along like gangbusters, going for double overtime on the playdate (thanks, Alicat!)
Some Zacks with friends, a few homemade cookies tonight, just wonderful.
One more set of races next weekend and I'm done for a while, looking forward the season's end.

No comments: