Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Bittersweet

Cascade was big, kind of a lot to get an understanding of. I kind of didn't realize what I was getting into, although all my buddies would give me a funny look when I said I was going, kind of a Tim Allen in Christmas With The Kranks when he gets the Botox injection look, with the eyebrows WAY UP THERE.
I asked questions, put together a training plan, and rode lots of climbs. Long climbs mostly, but also lots of short hill intervals. I looked at profiles, ate salads, and rode more climbs. A big problem is the shortness of most Cat 4 races, only 47 miles at Pescadero, 38 miles at MT. Hamilton. The supergeezers rip, and they do it for hours. They have been doing it for years, as evidenced by the low USCF numbers surrounding my lone 20,0000 number in the standings.
We came up Tuesday from Mt. Shasta, and cruised around. I rode the circuit course which was right outside the campground and drove the RR course, stopping at a cool fish hatchery, a yuppie market in Sunriver, and a way cool Lava cave.
Thursday was marked by riding with the team and the dogwalker, then going downtown and chillin' at Bellatazza, killer cappucinno! Met the team for dinner at their house and tried to soak up some insight as well as some pasta.
I had visions of getting dropped on the first climb and was happy to see a little headwind to help it stay together. 6 miles and change is still a long way to climb for this 185 pounder, but I stayed protected and made it over, first goal a success!
Promptly got dropped on the 50+ descent with J-money who had the speed wobbles, but chased back on and rolled up front to see what was happening.
Much concern shared with the Bagboys about the Vampire getting loose, they put a guy up with him and J and I manage the gap. Not alot of concern coming from the local boys at this point. I roll to the back to grab extra bottles at the feed and burn a big match getting back,but we all have lot's to drink. Unfortunately I can't seem to absorb it well, the Powerbar that seemed like such a good idea is pushing its way out my side, and the salt pill is right behind it. I can feel the warning signs and try to conserve.
We go back through the feed zone and in trying to get extras, I damn near get dropped. The end is near and I am just hanging on over every roller. I look over and Walker is sitting in getting ready, this is gonna suck. Boom the attacks start again on the rollers leading to the last climb, and like a giant hand pulling me back, I get dropped.
The implosion was pretty spectacular, I could barely pedal the bike. The wheel car comes up and gives me a cold water, and holds on for a second to the bottle, giving me a tiny break.
I talk to Groove and Petit Lutin who are chasing the pack in the van, then I am left to my own devices. If I stand I cramp, if I sit my calves and side hurt. I know if I stop it will be over, and I'm not ready for this to be over.
Long -ass climb solo at 5 miles an hour. The 3's pass me on the steep part, then it eases off and I actually catch a few before the finish.
I get a Coke and a water and we roll to the cars, 12 miles downhill. This was probably the toughest part of the day, my body was one large cramp, just rolling from side to side. I called Miz C., she was seriously concerned when she saw me, kinda green and sucked up. She doesn't normally worry about me, Lord knows I've pushed the limit before, so it must have been an ugly sight.
A few numbers- 87 miles with the trip back to the car. 20.5 avg with the last half hour at 5 mph solo.4038 calories burned- maybe the last number tells the tale the best, I probably got in 800 calories at best . Winning time for 75 miles of hills, 3 and change, with me 24 minutes back at the end of the first day.
Proud to be hanging with a bunch of guys not afraid to put it out there for each other, makes me work a little harder.

4 comments:

Johnny GoFast said...

Makes me feel like my pathetic little rides around here are, well...pathetic. Way to hang in there! Inspiring for sure.

Allison Krasnow said...

You're an inspiration to all us 4s...you got a taste of the big leagues!

I'll see ya on Sunday.

Dr. Xeno said...

Ouch! Way to hang in there - sounds like me on that Mines Rd recon ride! I saw your TT result was pretty decent, but they must've cut you off in the crit, eh?

Ron Castia said...

Gianni is s stud, he road like a champ up until is skewer gave way.
Homeboy is ready for the upgrade.