Monday, July 31, 2006

Districts- sometimes your the windshield, sometimes the bug

All weekend at bike racin' and not one bad picture, guess I forgot the camera in the car.

The racing? Not much for me, our ducks were all scrambled this weekend and we just made lemons out of lemonade. Bailed out of the 40+ on Saturday and did the 3/4/5 with the other domestiques.
Kinda wild with a full field of combined juniors, old guys, young guns..... No excuses, I just didn't have it on the climbs. I have been climbing better than ever lately and hoped to stay on and be the finishing punch, but it was not my day.
Seeing the writing on the wall, after the second lap with a little chase, I went to the front in the crosswind and gave em' some gutter time to try to rid some more deadweight from a field that was down by half. Not too effective, but better than nothin contributed. Caught the broomwagon on the next lap and rode in with them. Why do people want to sprint for 23rd? Props to the kids from Alta Alpina, people slam the kids, but they rode real safe while doing 40 downhill, and hit it hard everytime on the climb.
Minden was rippin' and good. Tons of talent on the line, MS and the Baggies had the numbers, Hutch and Roemer have been flying on the lap the field move. Lots of people to watch for only 2 guys.
I bet the farm on the Hutch/Roemer combo and missed the move of the day while regrouping. Reading a race of that caliber is still a couple of years away for me.
All I really had left was one good pack-dragging move to try to hold it together for a remainder of pack sprint, and I got to watch the rest from the sidelines with 10 to go.
Saw a lot of smart racing, no bitching from me. In hindsight keying off Safeway would have been better, why would they let H/R get away with 6-7 guys in the field?
I guess there was lot's of bitching when it was over, I dunno. I can toss out a few MFs and am pretty willing to back it up when the competitive fire is burning, well, sometimes I need to go cool off by myself for a few and remember I'm a 40 year old dad as of Sunday and not on the playground in South Stockton anymore.
Highlights for me-
Sweet campsite! 6 miles from the race, shady with a lake. Kicking it with Nome and DDR after dinner and watching the bats fly around in the meadow was way better than bad TV in Minden.

Soaking up some knowledge all weekend from guys that have done it a looong time.

Rolling with Roemer and looking down at the computer through a corner doing 32. In the flounders we would be SO GONE. Looking back and seeing a long line of determined loons, just savage.

Nice time in the park watching the 35+ race. Lot's of cool people in bike racing, I'll ignore the dumbasses. Great race with Nate, Taz, and the Straw-dude. Killer counter by the Olaf, the Straw-man just wanted it more than anyone else in a extremely motivated bunch from a half-lap in and never let it go .

2 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

so fun to read about how strong you're getting. soon you'll be able to rock the pack at those races. congrats.

Gianni said...

Yeah, those boyz are the real deal up there. I love racing with them, it can only bring your game up.
Great job in Idaho!
Next time bring a Gianni stowaway in the back for that race, then throw his ass on a bus for home.
I wanna full report!