Friday, August 31, 2007

Stoked

To race in the Gobi this weeekend.

This is way too fukkin' early for a cross race, but I'm going to ride over there and give'r one just to enjoy some wheel to wheel, its been 5 months or so since I lined up and need to get back on that hoss.
Put on some new tires today, the Kenda Small Block Eights in 700 x 32, and they look nice and roll quick. Important for me, they seem to handle predictably as well, I'm not the best bike handler out there especially on low speed windy stuff( like every CCCX race).
Took off the track nuts on the back and tried a QR, I haven't had any extra scratch for another set of race wheels for this rig, and figure I'll need to change a flat at some point.
At first the QR was fine, then I sprinted out of a corner and all hell broke loose and the track nuts promptly went back on.
Maybe if one is spinning a little gear the QR would work, I've used them on road fixies before with no real problems, but I'm rollin' a 48 x 17 tommorrow and the torque is insane in that back end, especially with the giant BB and chainstays that are gussetted alloy.
Picked up a couple of extra rear cogs from WTB , a 18 and a 20, and found out I have a 3/32 system instead of a 1/8 system, which makes my new 44 T ring I e-bayed relatively useless.
Perhaps I'll put it on the Redline Monocog and make a pit bike/ stupid junglecross machine.
Although Junglecross seems to be fading, replaced by dirt crits, like what I expect tommorrow.
Now watch Shane put in 20 sets of barriers and a set of kickers, I need lots of running after two weeks of the rock n' roll lifestyle again.
Got to go take some kids bowling now, I hope you are well and bring a Camelback tommorrow.
J

8 comments:

Merkeley Bike said...

...the torque is insane in that back end, especially with the giant BB and chainstays that are gussetted alloy.

Not to mention those monster quads!!!

Dr. Xeno said...

Ok, I think you're speaking English... teach me master.

Ron Castia said...

You need to pick up a couple of chain tensioners to put on the stays. Problem Solver has some.

Ron Castia said...

AKA Tugnut.

Gianni said...

Tugnuts- I gotta few.

Unknown said...

Gianni, you ran 48x17 yesterday?! I was planning on using 42x17 for my
(first) ss cross bike. I spent most of yesterday in my 46x17 on my geared bike. Is SS cross about guessing course design and changing ratios & chains? School me; what's a good starter norcal ss cx gear?

Gianni said...

My first year really doing the SS thing, Morgan, but while some guys are running a 44 ring, I'm thinking 46 may be better.
The WTB wheelset only runs down to 16 in available cog size, so my thoughts are to get a 46 ring to go with the 17 and have some bigger ones for hillier courses.
The 48 came on the bike( probably a track crankset) and was a little too big even for that dead flat course. A little more pop out of the corners would be nice IMHO.
And yeah, I have seen a few guys change up cogs when they get to a race and I'll do the same thing, not a big deal with a WTB lockring.
I have a feeling you'll get advice all over the board, but you and I can muscle over some stuff( probably the best part of our game) that smaller guys can't.

Good to see you suffering out there and having fun with the kiddies as well.
J

Unknown said...

Thanks, Gianni. If all goes well I'll be at the Saturday race next week, with the geared and ss bike.