Monday, August 06, 2007

The center of the universe.....






I've been planning this trip since last year, when I came up and rode all the climbs but the first one in preparation for getting shelled at Cascade :-0





A profile here ....





Every year we come up here and chill out, and every year we resist coming back down the hill a little more





We have climbed it on foot a couple of times, my daughter made it halfway up in a backpack at a year old, we swim at its foot in Lake Sis, and never stop looking up at it.I understand why this was the center of the universe to those who lived here before us.


This year, the ancient lady barely has any snow on her flanks, awful early to look like this, the climbing must suck in the scree.
















This pic taken at about mile 94 of the Super Summit, both Nome and I needed a picture break for a minute.

Castle Lake was just ahead,though, and we needed a pepsi bad. I SO wanted to soak my head and feet in this guy, but we had to roll...















To tackle the last climb up to the ski bowl, not the tuffest one of the day, but coming between mile 106 and mile 120?
















These small signs with different sayings along the climb inspired me to keep rolling , along with a well timed vanilla GU....




7,800 hundred feet and the road ends. I wished for the first time all day I hadn't of ditched my vest, the descent was brrrrrrrrr.
























Always find a wheel like this one for the first 15 miles....nice fella, we hit the first climb and thanked him profusely....

















Note the size of the roads, this was probably the only negative, 10-15 mile climbs were cool, but descending them with folks paperboying up, not so cool, got a little too hairball for me especially with all the bad juju going on in my life right now, I felt it was in my best interests to let a couple of fellas go and not be a statistic...
Right after coming off of the first climb, we saw a line of emergency vehicles hauling ass up the road, hope the folks are all right...
This was unknowingly the winning gap to #, 2 and 3, those two never came back, the gap never changed. The winner by my guesstimation was a Reno Wheelman who looked beyond supa-smooth when he rocked by everyone early and held it all the way.
Not a race, but you do this junk long enough and at least for me I always keep count, no lie here...
I rode well and smart for me, drank a six hour bottle of Perpetuem in six hours, stayed below LT for most of the day and never cramped.
Anything this long always has a crux and a moment when it can all fall into disarray. The bonk, the cramps, the mental exhaustion all are a opportunity as well as a obstacle.
Sunday was a opportunity for me to get a little confidence back and to let a new season unfold.
Ride time 9:42
135 miles
16,500 feet of climbing
YUM.








5 comments:

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

what ride was this? kind of death ride -esque. especially the part about descending into the oncoming paperboys. i had issue with that both times i did the deathride descending down Ebbetts pass.

So now I only ride roads like those when i have them to myself, mor or less....

i don't think i've ever seen that mountain with so little snow. still pretty, though.

Johnny GoFast said...

How do they get off calling 135 miles a century? Seems cruel. 9+ hours seems like a good week these days let alone all in one day. That would force me into early retirement. Great job knocking that one out.

Ron Castia said...

Gianni and I like to wrap our weeks worth of training up in one day as of late.

It was extremely cool to ride roads I have never seen. Even more cool with the great company.

Thanks for talking me into this one, for a great weekend, and for letting me vent without telling me to "shut up already".

Gianni said...

PAB- The Shasta Super Summit Century.
Thye claim to be tuffer than the Death Ride, but I think it depends more on the day your having than anything else which one is worse, maybe next year I'll give the DR a shot.
Johnny- they have a regular century as well,but it is a very tuff one, just missing the first monster climb and turning around early on the second one.It's got your name all over it.
Nome- good times, good times.
And the firestarter really helped :-)

~ lauren said...

wow, those pictures are great. looks like a lot of fun.

loooong day!