Saturday, January 12, 2008

Santa drives a UPS truck

Well, Ive been saving my pennies for a while now, e-baying a few items for fresh new toys, working through a few nights to feed the cycling monster in the garage, and was able to bust it down for these babies

Keith has been a fantastic sponsor for lots of Norcal teams and while I had read the reviews, the term " these (fill in the blank here) are comparable with ( blah blah blah) ones that cost hundreds more is waaaay overused .

But after riding them for a few rides now, I honestly am very impressed.

Sprints friday, very solid, no whippyness at all.
Some interval work during the week on them, but mostly I stayed inside in my little house of pain with a fan and a fixie on the TACX.

Saturday finally came and I took then on one of my favorite rides, Morgan Territory looping around to Northgate and back home, a solid 85 miles.

Hopped on the HOP for a minute at Highland/ Tassajara and got off that bus at MTR, where I waited for the ChromeMan for a spell, then we made our way up.

Going counterclockwise isn't my favorite way to go on this route, the descent was muddy/slimy/holey and needed much care, the winter storms really slammed the canyon back there.
But the wheels, man.
Doing some big gear stuff up MTR they were solid as a rock.
Descending was full of bunnyhopping and basically cross riding, the 30x's were very predictable.
We rode west and then climbed Diablo, again, the wheels were very solid. Keith had told me they would be stiff, with a Powertap hub and DT spokes, there just isn't a lot of spoke with a deep section rim, but I really dug the feeling of the power going down to the ground.
When the 30x's really blew my mind was descending Southgate, though.
Perfect tracking and once they spun up, felt like they held their velocity very well.

I've ridden some pretty good wheelsets,Eurus, Zipp, Kysyriums these are definitely right up there if not frankly better. I don't get caught up in the latest and greatest much,I like steel bikes and steel single speeds more, but the whole package of ceramic bearings, solid build, and excellent rim weight, epecially with the Powertap is kickass.

Taking them up Calaveras tommorrow, looks like a very nice day to suffer........

J

No comments: