Sunday, June 04, 2006

I'm dun lappin'



Classic Dunlap course this year, more wind for sure. All the times were off by a few minutes. Shot up there this morning with Nome in his new to him scooty-truck, set up camp EMC, and put my feet up, with a couple of hours to go until my start.

Nome splits to ride the elite 3's and I hop on his trainer and immediately note the crappy legs, not a good sign. I work into the warmup anyway, starting to get loose, a little Bulls On Parade gettin the juices workin', start tappin the bars, notin' the HR, when the bike somehow comes unhooked from the traner at about 30 mphifyouweregoinganywhere.

NICE!

Well, everything is fine, hopefully between DD flatting and tossing his bike to the ground, and my little stunt, we have used up our bad luck for the day.Wait, remember a little installment in the blogosphere a few weeks back about flatting while making some position adjustments?

Mmmm, lets just say I'm gonna put it back where it came from.

Got a nice start on time, settled into a easy pace about 3 beats below threshold. Real easy with the tailwind to get caught up and push, but I knew this would result in problems down the way. First time with my new helmet-I found out the face shield gets pretty warm with glasses on, I'll ditch them. Also, Miz C's HRM looks good on the stem, but you cannot read it unless you drop yer head, bad bad bad with a aero helmet.

Hit the head and cross wind @ 15 k or so, brought the intensity up to mid-LT, but the speed dropped in this section, I think I lost about30 seconds here. I kept moving around and had a deep pain in my right ass cheek not felt since I finished college algebra last year after a 20 year layoff- but I digress.

Made it to the freeway with about 8 k to go and dropped the hammer, flying with the cross-tailwind at about 48-50 kph, then turning into it for the final 3k. The last 3k were at 90-95 percent, I kept trying to drop to the 11, but the 12 was way faster. I would say I left it out there pretty good at the end, maybe I could have pushed in the midpoint better. I felt focused the whole time, but the legs were el sucko.

Couldn't walk right after and still can't, my hammie is worked.

Ended up with 7th out of 36 4/5's, I have some work to do before Sattley next week. Nome rocked em and kicked my ass by a couple of minutes, very good showing, Nomie!

4 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

Nice ride today. I clearly remember laying down the hurt last year at Dunlap. MB and I skipped the TT for a crit. What has happened to us over this past year? After his race today, though, he might be running back to TT and such.

Merkeley Bike said...

Nice Job G!!

I must be doing something wrong because cycling never feels like college math to me, well, maybe one class.

I hope you set DD straight on the correct technique for 'throwing' his bike.

Gianni said...

That TT will sneak up and kill you if you play it wrong.Thats the fascination for me as I race these courses a few times now, figuring out when to push and when to stand pat.
I think the guys that beat me (a)pushed a little harder on the starting leg and (b) gutted it out on the road back to the freeway. I definitely rode one gear too easy here, not enough faith in my engine.

Chico Cyclist said...

Great job out there Gianni - that's killer. TTs = Free tix to the Pain Cave.