Thursday, June 22, 2006


Been sucking wind more than normal the last couple of days. I was blaming it on the ridiculous heat till I saw this Spare The Air Day stuff.Last year I got a bad case of asthma and bronchitis after hammering all day at a race in the desert during one of these warnings, it took me 2 months to get my shit together again. You'd think I would learn. LA was brown and nasty, but it has been vicious here the last couple of days.
I forgot my inhaler today and have been coughing/ wheezing all night at work. I've got a fairly good plan to control it before races, hard workouts, etc. now. This is the first time I've needed Albuterol after a easy ride in a looong time.
This brings up a interesting point though, when is medicine/ good nutrition/ vitamins an unfair advantage? I have a time- tested plan before a race- eating some Metabolol, then some Muscle Nitro, a high-CHO drink during, recovery drink after. Fancy vitamins every day, electrolytes when it's hot. Warm up easy, then hit the puffer to control the EIA.
Standard stuff in the Cat 4 level, which is really the stupid part. When did the "beginner level" of this crap go out the window?If this is the beginner level, it's easy to see how Cat 1/2- Masters level guys lose it and start pounding monkey tranquilizers and crap to get a edge. It's all in the marketing, the "science of speed" , calling poisons and legitimate medicines for sick people "vitamins". My mom with anemia, she needs ProCrit, not some cat 3 schlubbo with a climbing problem.
Anyhoo, I hope I get this fixed before Saturday. It looks like I'm gonna make it in on the wait list for Pesky. NOT my kind of race, but I got a couple of teammates that deserve some love , and it's good training for The Race So Far Over My Head It's Ridiculous.

3 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Yeah, probably over my head too. But we are going to have so much fun that it's probably illegal.

Masters racers on the loose without adult supervision.

jAndy donka-donk said...

I have my order of monkey tranquilzers in transit for the P/1/2 at Cascade...

Thanks for the reminder, I was running low.......

Mohit said...

Interesting stuff to read about running and cycling. healthy blog to read
Sportsmatik