Friday, August 08, 2008

Shasta Hillclimb

This is a nice little local race, a mix of guys up for the century the next day and the locals that ride the mountain everyday.

Oh yeah, and throw in about 40 of the DFL crew, makingtheir annual pilgrimage north for a weekend of doing their thing.....

OK, now I will never be accused of being a grimpeur, but the raffle looked like fun and while I am completely unsuited for activities that rely on allez and more allez and especially any venga, I do like to suffer and be timed while doing it.

Rode to the start from camp, my favorite way to go anytime I can, just makes things simpler at times.
My nod to the race? I ditched the frame pump and brought two CO2's and two tubes.
Roughly 70 folks line up in town, they make some announcements and we are off.
My plan was to stay on through town were it is relatively flat and then slip off the back, I figured this would be kind of like a cross start, and it was in ways without the singletrack. I immediately got a tighten up from the bronchial pathways, they haven't gone like this in a while and let me know it, but I just relaxed and tried to stay on for a while- it turns out I stayed on longer than planned and it made things very rough later on, as I rode solo from 15 minutes in.

I tried to hold my threshold all the way but I really blew on the early bits and had a time recovering.
I rode hard for a hour and shut it down to noodle speed, I still had a best one hour power, but ended up finishing 20 minutes back from the real racers- a kid from Army Cycling won, tough little dude that left the bus early, Cameron got second and looked to be having fun and getting his suffer on all weekend, the cross season is coming, boys and girls.

Good stuff.
Oh yeah, I won ( in the raffle) a cooler, a t-shirt, a pass to brewfest at the ski bowl, and a tube.

Gave the pass to a helpful brudda that gave me a ride back to camp and helped me jumpstart the landbarge after I left the back door open.
Sweet.

No comments: