Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I needed Tuesday's legs on Saturday....

but Carrera was a blast anyway!

Good to be back racing, the masters race was quite tuff but safe.

I mostly sat in and struggled to close gaps/not hit my pedal/hide from the headwind. No teammates so I got to watch the shenanigans a bit and learn a couple things .

With 1.5 to go a little lull after a break came back and I saw some daylight for a second and went for the low- percentage last lap flyer, I got gobbled with a half lap to go and got back in line like a little whipped puppy.....

Cat 3 race was definitely more brakes and ballooning than I would prefer, not a lot slower, though. Where I was trying to hang onto a wheel through turns 3 and 4 in the masters, I now was trying not to hit a wheel or just passing folks in the turn-
Not stupid bad but not as fun or smooth.
I also noticed this weird thing where the guys from the back would come up the side, then back off right at the front and not commit, this sucked for me hitching a ride up on their coattails and I would slide back again since 8 across into a corner just seemed like a bad idea to me. This happened a few times, but I was really pretty tired from the previous race and at the end realized I wouldn't know what to do if I did get up there for the inevitable sprint as my legs were about out of pop.

All in all a fun race and maybe more important the Vickerator joined me for the cat 3 race, welcome back, buddy!
That's a tuff first race back.

2 comments:

Merkeley Bike said...

You were a stud out there. No way I could have done two races on that course in the same day.

Glad to see you back at the races. You're going to kick some butt once cross begins.

Gianni said...

Thanks for talking me into it.

I'll have to get down to Hellyer with you again soon.

Perhaps a Tuesday in Sept.

J