Thursday, March 08, 2007

Old Mclane recap/ rant

Well, it's been almost a week and my head is slowly clearing and the legs feel decent, and I finally got the urge to jot a few things down....

Kudos to the teams in the 35+4 race, ones of note were the Pegasaurs, the EMC boyos, Sierra, CVC, and even Webcor and Davis, both who had like two racers.
All of the above attempted to animate at least for a lap until the old dads got tired and the reality of setting up for a 60 rider bunch sprint became a reality.
We probably tired each other out with all those attacks and counters, as the individual riders made hay while the sun shone in the final results.

That was a crazy finale to a crazy day, with riders careening into the dirt every turn. The only safe place was right at the head of the storm, with most of the field hanging back while the big P tried to control at the front.

Road racing in the grampa Cat 4's?

Lame.

Waiting for a bunch sprint and chasing everything down, even your own team?

Like watching paint dry, and yet many people encourage it, as it seems like the only way up and out of the 4's unless your talent is on the higher level of the curve.

Are we teaching people the finer points of bicycle racing, as is claimed?. A totally different game being played on the 123 stage with strategy interspersed with a savage beating every few minutes. Real bike racin'.

Anyhow, I'll shut the rant off now :-)

CVC for this lame Cat 4 starts Saturday, and I'm more than a little concerned over my total lack of TT preparation, unless sitting on the rollers for 45 minutes in the morning is gonna help, in the bars or not., but it's cool, I'm riding Snowflake, my oldest bike, and me and her have seen more than a few barbeques along the way.
Matter of fact, I think Snowflake is gonna get some bloggage soon, like a whole ode to the 'Flake.
See ya'll soon,
J

4 comments:

diskzero said...

Gianni,

Don't worry. Merco left me with a bad feeling as well, but I know races with real selections are coming up. If I can crawl my way out, you can too.

Gene the Snubber

Merkeley Bike said...

You did a great job trying to get things going on the first lap. Unfortunately, any time there were more than 2 up the road the whole pack decided to chase them down. It felt like too many of our crits.

Maybe we can find a way to break this frustrating pattern!

Merkeley Bike said...

Maybe this will keep you inspired. Watch all the way to the end ;>.

Gianni said...

Disky- your an inspiration, and you were always were ready to go up the road with a move.
I look forward to rolling with ya soon.

Merkle- Jens rocks,pure and simple.
I'm a gambling man and I will always lose more than I win.
We gotta get you in some of those early moves where you can shine.