Monday, March 12, 2007

CVC ITT

Drove down Saturday morning, caught up with the 123 squad as they were heading back to the lair.
I have been whining about no time in the saddle, especially on the TT rig, but hey, it's only 28K, right?

Wind was quartering from the SW and I heard from several people to expect it to reverse itself during the afternoon, so a distinct possibility of getting head/ head and not in a good way.

Got in a perfect warmup, used a whole hour, got off a couple times and worked on some new stretching I have been learning about, tried to open up all the zones and get loose in the flexors, which have been tight during my 45 minute roller sessions.

Made it to the line early, keeping the stress down is important, I would say I felt so-so, but was willing to go hard early and take the chance of a blowup.

Guy counts down just like on TV with the fingerdoodle move and I'm off, 10 stomps and settle. I push the Lap button and see I'm already at LT just from excitement,I try to calm myself down and get to it.
I had two gaps in front of me in the start order giving me minute men and then no one, so I just tried to work with the wind and take what it would give me, dropping a cog, going back up one, better with no face shield on the helmet, I like to feel the wind a little and hear things.
I passed my first minute man about 5 K in, then my second one stayed out there longer, till we hit the slight rollers and I could spin it up a bit and catch him.
I was about 10 beats over threshold by 10K in, and just tried to keep consistent, passing a womens ' division, refusing to look back, especially with a aero helmet, amd embrace the wind instead of hating it, which was now quartering more into the front of me.
Not enough power to push the really big cogs and I found spinning it up was faster anyway.
Hit the 1K hill and it was gut check time, with a bonus check, when it flattened out about 500 meters in and I had to leave the voices at the door and drop another cog, yum, yum that cytomax tastes good again, ooooh and it's over.
I had no idea only having 2 minute men how I was looking in the results, no real feedback from the watch that forgot to stop and I felt kind of crappy with no good form, sliding up, knees out more than they should be, back probably hunched like mad.
Rode back while bonking my ass off, only had a vague idea where I was and where I was going, I figured Fresno was somewhere up there, probably riding back hurt more than the race effort itself, as the cramps really set in.
My experience with cramps- calf cramps, yellow zone
Quads, especially while riding home in the car with buds, can even be good for a chuckle or two.
Hammies are no fun and can end a nice race.
Ass cramps are no fun.
Ass cramps while lost in the heartland of California really suck.
Only hobbling around and Ibuprofen help.
And large Coca-colas.

Anyhow, after lots of hobbling, chatting, and Coca-colas, the results were announced to the 20 people left in the parking lot and I won the damn thing.

Celebrated by going to Sweet Tomatoes solo and watching Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle for the 15th time, big bachelor night out!

A little perspective here, I was minutes off of the big time guys, not just the pros but the really strong masters guys, especially the demons of Sattley.

Trophies are just damn cool things.
And CVC put on one hella-cool race this weekend.

7 comments:

Johnny GoFast said...

Dude-that is soooo damn great!! Congrats on the number one. See you at Zamora.

Johnny GoFast said...

Holy crap! I just saw that you won not only the TT, but the crit as well. "Holy Wheels of Thunder, Batman. How the hell can the Pegasaurus' combat this one man wrecking ball?" Somebody is coming into form, and that ain't me. Are you predicting similar pain for the rest of us at Zamora?

Steven Woo said...

Wow. You beat the most recent top dog of the 35+ 4/5's (so it's a small pond to mix metaphors...), Nelson! You are on your way up, too.

diskzero said...

Awesome dude. It looks like things are going to be changing for you this season.

nosajpalnud said...

way to go - sounds like an upgrade is in the making

Allison Krasnow said...

I'm so psyched for you. A finish like that has been long overdue for all your hard training over the last year. Sweeeeet!

Gianni said...

JS, Let's pray for wind, the big man's friend.
Steve, Nelson is looking strong and is way more willing to go out on the break than before, but he will be upgraded again soon according to people that count better than me.
Disky- how was it in the stage race?
Nos- still got a couple of weeks racing in me.
Ali- congrats on it all this last couple of weeks!