Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Riding with Yoda

Cool things I learned while riding with the Yoad last week-

How to pee while rolling.

This has eluded me for years, and we had some time to work on skills, so...
The crosswind worked for me, not against me, and Altamont got watered, not me.
It's the little things in life, no?

Hawks don't always get their way.

Right after the watering episode, I came across a hawk attempting to lift a football size object into the sky off the road. Mr. Red Tail sees me rolling towards him, and drops it for the safety of the nearest power pole, where he alights and fixes his hawkish glare upon me.
As I continue to roll, I see the object is the fattest ground squirrel known to man, ready for winter with little rolls of squirrel fat wobbling around. Mr Red Tail is way pissed about me getting in the way of him and his double bacon cheeseburger, but now I'm rolling past little Chub-Rock.
I think I startled him or maybe he realized he was still alive since there are no bikers looking like Spiderman if Spidey just got done flashing someone rolling around in the rodent afterlife.
Anyhow, Chub-Rok gathers himself and staggers off the road and rolls, wiggles into the nearest hole, flipping a defiant rear paw to the bird, who now is definitely contemplating dive-bombing my ass in retaliation.
More later, but just a couple observations from this weekend's festivities at CCCP.
Mark Noble is really veiny. And really fast.
The a's can really ride. Not just from a fitness standpoint, but the skill level is mindblowing.
7 minutes off the leaders and it still was a race to those of us on the back of the bus, not sure what that says, but....
After seeing al those sausages and beverages being grilled to perfection, a Taco Bell on 92 was kind of a let down.
More later..

7 comments:

Dr. Xeno said...

mobile urination is one of my specialties; small bladder.

Johnny GoFast said...

The biggest difference between the front of the B's and the back of the A's is skill/ability. A few years ago, when I wasn't in great shape, I'd be at the front of the B's with skill alone. I was always amazed at how the riders in the B's would bobble in the weirdest spots. Riding smoothly, I'd do pretty well. Then I joined the A's and got smoked. Everyone can ride. Everyone can dismount at speed and re-mount in one fluid motion. Always impressive no matter which end your on.

X Bunny said...

ok, bike racing is harder for women than men...

Merkeley Bike said...

You gonna demonstrate at the skills clinic this weekend?

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

"ok, bike racing is harder for women than men..."


urination ...



bwaaahahaahhaaha

Ron Castia said...

I don't know JS, I can't dismount and I can't mount, but I can win a B race. So long as I don't hold myself back with gears n stuff.

Gianni said...

X n' XB- I'd be scared to pull that in a race.
JS- I got a lot of work to do just to make it to the middle of that group, both fitness and skills need mucho help.
Merk- I'll prolly pee in my kit just to stay warm if the doom and gloom forecast comes true.
Nome- the mounting and remounting, I just like to say it.
I will agree that gears get in the way of a good time more than not.
Olaf- I just like hearing about fluid motion.