Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pumpkin Bread, Choco Chip Cookies and Six Dollar Burgers- oh and strawberries!


A blast of a weekend- Started with a mellow few hours spinning in a wind storm with Merkeley, ate and visited with a new bunch of Juniors the X-man is in charge of, then got some long sleep, waking late to get ready for Ride The World Cups 3, which was blessed by probably some of the nicest weather I've seen.


Some Pictures by Garret Lau here-


With the big turnout I rode the B's and had oh so much fun- I rode a 88 gear and warmed up a bit smaller with 49 x 16, a good tactical extravaganza and the guys that risked won the race, while I played the percentages, kind of a role reversal but it was fun- the highlight was hearing the announcer ( who I didn't even realize was Frankie Andreu I'm such a bonehead) say how many points I had and realize I was counting them correctly in my head while racing- good stuff for this goofball!

I really came for the bake sale and stayed for the racing, though, and the bakers did not disapoint, I sampled a Derby Pie and grabbed a couple loaves of the bread and some excellent cookies, yum!


Sunday came early after eating baked goods and watching Run Fat Boy Run- ok in parts, one thumb up and one down I think.


We headed out with a full load of folks in the Burb for CCCX country, and if possible had even nicer weather today at the coast- wow!


Jasmin did super and had a great battle for second in the B's, she has come a long ways in her technique in a short time!

More importantly she is really having fun racing, and if your not having fun at the amateur level you really need to look at things.........


After getting abused and heckled by middle aged men last week it was a relief to get my hot mama feeding crew back, well, two thirds anyway,they are the lucky charm and with Little C coming out as well I knew I was good.


Smaller race but all five of the guys that are in the points showed up for the SS A race- great course by Keith and Rod - tactical, some sand, some blazing fast turns and a long double stretch of pavement with a small climb that would slowly stretch the elastic.


We took off and quickly formed a small gruppo that hit each other a few times but couldn't break things up- with both Tim and Cesar in the group I was very watchful for the gap-a-rooni but it never came- all the guys in that group are excellent mountain bikers and watching their lines helped me out quite a bit- I felt good and only hit it a few times to get back on or to help split things, Cesar got dropped which about never happens and I hit it hard to solidify the gap with one to go, then rode up front through the tech stuff to control the pace- my seat was leaning bad and felt like it was coming back some- but I was ok for the most part- with about a k to go my seat snapped in half and then fell off- had to ride in standing so ended up 4th- my best placing so far, so I'm really stoked!

3 comments:

russellp said...

Broken seatpost? New toothpick!

Nice results, and you're keeping 'em honest up at the front there.

Johnny GoFast said...

Podiums are good to come by. Congrats and way to finish it off.

Merkeley Bike said...

Brings new meaning to the phrase 'riding the rails'.