Sunday, November 09, 2008

Mr Consistency

Great weekend of living the racers' life - good food, hanging with my old buddy the Seal and Jimbo tagging along.

Lot's of bike and climbing talk, a shopping trip to Sierra Trading Post in Reno where I picked up some shoes that don't slip in the snow and some nice Campy overshoes for the fall.

Reno race- altitude and me don't agree for a day or so and I suffered some, but the Reno guys tried hard and put together a nice course with what they had-looks like parts of the course had seen some bottle shootin' and other high desert pursuits, but the wheelmen raked and cleaned things very well- nice group of folks out that way.
Mantra of the day on the runup- Chili Verde Burrito- ooof.

I had a crazy allergy thing after the race- this getting old crap is ridiculous- I just complained about allergies fer crissake, and don't get me started on my new trick knee or my weird chest pain from getting excited in the gym one day and pulling my superspinatus, it's crazy.

Went back to Tahoe and destroyed a giant pizza and took a couple benadryl so I wouldn't die choking on my own snot, then watched a doubleheader of Dodgeball and Everythings Gone Green wooo big night out.

We woke to snow dusting the porch and bailed out down to warm and sunny Sacramento and Discovery Park for Sacto Cross- this was pretty cool and I remembered my parents in the 70's cutting me loose to ride my bike from Discovery to the end of the trail somewhere far away- up by a school I think?
Anyway, I would ride my little BMX bike for hours out there, never mind the creeps in the bushes, there were always lots of little muddy side trails to jam on while the folks drank chablis and tried to keep a eye on me :-)

So it was fun to be back, I felt pretty good and liked my chances a bit more than Saturday with only 40 feet of vert in a hour- plunked on a big gear and fooled around on my new geared bike a bit, really liking it, too bad it has gears though.

Got a good call up and was stoked, well, maybe too stoked as I came out of both my pedals somehow in the start and got going about dead last out of quite a few guys, they had a 50 buck first lap prime and the field went a bit kajagoogoo trying for that one, so I just went from wheel to wheel when I could and tried not to get crashed out in the cattle drive around the first couple obstacles.

Got up to the second group but we couldn't seem to get closer, all the usual suspects in that one and they were putting along, not pulling away but too far to cross, but we tried to work together until about two to go and I left the station when the B leader who started a minute after us caught us, so I'm happy considering what a cluster the beginning was, and I will be practicing some starts this week and maybe buying some new cleats.....

Lot's o fun and next weekend will be good too- RTWC and CCCX- I thought CCCX was going to Toro Park and I was wincing in pain already, but now I see the DOD course is on tap- way cool.

J

No comments: