Sunday, September 28, 2008

CCCX 2-Travel Camp- I can't drive

Weird rest week for me- every time I tried to go hard I felt crappy and turned it into a easy ride, even today I didn't feel particularly good or have any pop on the warmup.

Travel Camp- not my favorite course, just too mountainbikey for me to do well and my 185 lbs don't like the hills much.
I have been trying to learn to up the game in the skillz, but have so far to go- I must say the tubies really help a hack like me though.

Usual suspects at the SS A start line, we have had our own start this year which I really really like, with the A's together it get's jumbled and the game gets played differently, chasing geared bikes and getting pulled along.

This year we catch the stragglers in the A's but they don't affect the race.

START-

I stepped down into my pedal and promptly knocked the water bottle off and bent the cage into the crank while everyone rode away, had to bend it back and get my bottle back on the next lap from Jasmin's mom who helped out with the feeds, etc.
Caught back on remarkably and rode around with the three amigos for a lap until the next little stunt- driving into Tim Cannards' wheel repeatedly until taking a spill was required just to right the karmic balance of the world. Took my lumps and caught on again, I was having a few trubbles everytime we went around a corner and let the gap open and did the yo yo for a lap, thne I flipped into a bush, completely ass over tea kettle while bombing down some crap.
Took stock and noticed the red leaves all around me, graaaayte!
Gotta love Tecnu later :-)
Hopped back on and somehow caught on again, at this point I was kind of in disbelief and really wanted to stop crashing, so sat in for a lap or two and tried to drive right.
Heading up the gradual hill- I notice- two Buy Cell at the front with one pulling away while the other rides tempo. Next is Ruben who is spent apparently and cannot chase.
I am in the back in the singletrack now. This is bad. Now I cannot see Tim anymore and Cesar takes a bobble in the loose sand.
We hit the back road and Tim has a 30 second gap.
Putanelli Putanelli Putanelli.
I engage and chase, but have no help. I then try to attack Cesar, one time it looks good, but then I get dragged back. this goes on for three laps until AJM laps us.
The most frustrating thing about today- not understanding the lead lap rule and not realizing we were now on our last lap.
I just rode in for fourth behind those guys- just rode in.

Frustrating but eventually even this blockhead will get it.

Many fun and cool things today though, before this sounds too much like sour grapes and racer woulda shoulda coulda....

Lot's of peeps getting down with the suffer faces and ballet moves over the barriers- you know who you were and it was great to heckle/ cheer.

This year the SS bunch has been tactical all the way-very interesting racing and ton's of battles along the way.
Bring back that dude in the tight shorts, I say!

Crazy drive home with some crash I'm gonna guess at the flea market on 101- we took a detour through Watsonville and got home at 6:30, long day but fun times.

4 comments:

Johnny GoFast said...

Laughing over here. But you did notice, as I flopped my way all silly like across the field, that I didn't go down. I swear to (insert the deity of your choice here) that I almost threw my bike in frustration. But I realized quickly enough that that would have looked more lame than not being able to get my size 13's over a barrier.

Gianni said...

That was a sweet save!

Looking at the results you have moved up quite a bit this year, nice to see.

Did you run the logs or ride them this year?

My whole group ran them, interesting considering the MTB background of most of them.

Great sufferface!

Merkeley Bike said...

Points races will help with that lead lap thing ;).

Nice job out there.

Johnny GoFast said...

Jumped the logs with no issue at all. I was equally surprised to see some that were dismounting and running those. Running them wasn't hugely slower but there is the effort of getting off and on that spikes the HR.