Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Homemade Fudge With White Chocolate Topping

Thanks to all the well wishes, my Pops is doing better, and after a week in the hospital flirting with pretty Filipino nurses, is now ensconced at a rehab facility for the next month or so, where he alternately watches his new TV/ flirts with pretty Filipino nurses and argues that he needs his mentholatum rub for his sore shoulder/knee/ankle/ anything but his hip.

An old marathon swimmer that once swam 24 miles across Lake Superior, the man knows his embrocation strategies by now and why the doctor is argueing about it is beyond me.

The cross racing is sucking big time, I was bummed a bit , but after looking at my logs, it's easy to see the cause.
I'm so undertrained it's lousy.
But I really don't care.

I'm handling my business well these days and getting priorities in line.

If I have to hang X-mas lights at 10 pm on Saturday Night to race Sunday, so be it.

And as soon as the expectations and frustration left, I started to have fun again.

A spirited race for 5th ensued last Sunday and my fading ass was in it for a while.
Yippee!

Our new boss canceled our X-mas party this year, the grinch.

So we have had two of our own so far this week.

Quite the brotherhood of ditchdiggers I belong to here, I went away a couple of times, but always come back.

We work hard in the mud when it's 30 degrees at four am, laugh about the crazy times in the East O and North Richmond.

Sometimes your niche isn't the easiest or the smartest.

But once you recognize that brotherhood, and we do fight like hated siblings at times, although the fistfights are rare now that alcohol is a no-no on the job, but once you realize that's who you are?

Best thing to do is live it.


6 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Send me your training schedule. 3 years with a pro coach and 10 years in the stupid sport, I can spot problems.
Can't put a schedule together for shit, but I know how to tell if deficiencies or over training exist.

Always good to have second set of eyes on any plans.

Gianni said...

Thanks Nome, but it's really not that complicated.
Not like I have a weird disease or anything.
Until September my schedule was picture perfect.
The plans were in place and while the threshold numbers weren't high on the Diablo climb, they weren't bad either.
In September my mom died.
I missed many days of training, although I made lot's of important workouts, maintaining my fitness.
I crashed in late september, forcing a week of recovery and roughly 2 weeks of sleepless nights.
Many other sundry and boring things happened, but basically the volume dropped to about 7 hours a week and the threshold phase was missed.
While I maintained decently and even did some very hard VO2 work, my body had had enough by mid- November.
I haven't been able to put a good cross season together yet, but I will some day.

The post was much more about the fact that this shit is just for fun and while I can focus for a while, there are much bigger fish to fry....

Ron Castia said...

As long as it is Salmon.

X Bunny said...

your graph is very nice

i gotta go find that paper i write my workouts down on cuz i've forgotten to do it for the last week......

last year i think i kept up until at least february with the charting!

Gianni said...

Thanks, Xbun,
I like graphs.
They make things, like, real.
Although I must confess.
I still have a hard time deciphering these crazy power file-majiggies.
Too many lines make me EXTRA GOOFY.

j

Ron Castia said...

SQUIGGLY LINES!

LOUD NOISES!

I LOVE LAMP!

I ATE A RED CANDLE!

Why are we yelling?