Monday, November 20, 2006

The snake bites wur vicious

GGGP this weekend, and I just never can get a bit of luck on this course.
2004- flatted twice
2005- ginourmous crashes in the first turn
2006- Most Mechanicals Award? Give me that!
This place is cursed.

I decided to ride the SS due to my brakes being thrashed due to me choosing to work on my bike the night before. Me- no mechanic. Old trusty SS- bulletproof, right? First lap and I hear funny noises behind me, then the chain derails right after the pit. Axle came loose, so I fumble, but not having a freekin 15 mm wrench handy in my skin suit I run back to get the cross bike in the pit.
Brakes= questionable. I forget this and while on the drops and attempting to catch the back of the line of guys again flat out drive through the tape and end up down by the Polo Grounds.
The brakes work kind of ok from the tops, so I hack my way around gingerly, catch a few guys, choose some dumb lines up the run up while dodging folks on the ground.... pure hack fest, then my froont wheel comes out on the barriers.Just fell out. I pick it up dumbfounded while all the BOP fellas I caught pay it back and see ya later.
Just one of those days, jist getting stoopider by the minute, but I finished and saved the day with a nice visit to the Tea Garden, beautiful place and the family was appreciative after all the hard work heckling my ass on that hill.
Maybe next week will be better, maybe I'll buy some better brakes and learn how to adjust them.
Still having fun and no junior racers were harmed in the typing of this blog.

4 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

classic, baby.

Sabine told me there was all kinds of yakkity-smack on the CX e-groups about elders gettin' adolescent in behavior.


gladly ... out of the loop

Johnny GoFast said...

2004-crash due to some lapper. Ended up face down in a puddle-dropped chain and lost about eight spots.
2005-pinch flat two minutes in with no back up bike. DNF.
2006-can't race due to cracked ribs. I'm with you on the jinxed thing.
Ahh, the joys of racing. Hoping and hoping that I can join you in the 35+b's race on the 3rd. Just want to get back out there and exorcise some deamons before the layoff. Although last night I was thrashing with my kids and took a knee to the ribs. Needless to say, I didn't sleep all that well and now I'm sore. Time will tell.

Gianni said...

OV- yes, much chatter, and some of it really deserved.
JS-Looking forward to seeing you out there! Curious if there will be a District Champion for the Cs or B's, or just masters. Watch those kiddies elbows and get healthy, theres' two months left.

PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

dude, you harmed a masters racer with the typing of this blog!

I laughed too hard, fell out of chair and bruised tailbone...

-

Sorry for the raceday you had--what a nightmare!

The tea garden there is really cool. I would have liked to have gone there but not enough time in the day.

See ya at the next one!