Saturday, April 29, 2006

A whole new world

I help a buddy coach newbie triathlete women some saturdays. Get to ride around, fix bikes, mostly make sure everybody comes back alive. Every once in a while i dispense a little knowledge on funny little tri-geek deals, like getting in and out of shoes while still rolling, close your horrified ears, my roadie pals!
The best part of today was the conversations with people that are trying something new, a lot of times with a borrowed POS bike with 10 year old tires. People that are willing to challenge themselves to something very unknown, all new, completely foreign.Willing to just show up to workouts every weekend and Thursdays. leaving their comfort zones behind them. I could see a difference in the people today since last month, a little more confidence and strength. Pushing yourself has a way of doing that, giving you the strength to see life's possibilities in a whole new light. It's so easy to get caught in a rut of work, food,television and the internet, living vicariously through others. The Friday radio shows break down Survivor like WE are struggling with the immunity challenge.
I love to see change and I love to see hope.

3 comments:

Allison Krasnow said...

True Confessions:

I was one of them not so long ago. I did my first triathlon (1/2 Vineman) on a mountain bike, bought when I was a junior in high school. Their IM days could be only a few short seasons away...

Ali

Gianni said...

And now look at you. I'm looking forward to the RRs from Podunk from the both of ya!

Allison Krasnow said...

report coming soon.
I got gapped from the break in the feed zone. Now that's a mistake ONLY an ex-triathlete would make...i hate when i show my true colors.

RR to come from us both. Mike has been pounding his out all night.