Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I got the itis......

So I am watching one of my favorite shows yesterday while spinning a little on the trainer- http://www.adultswim.com/shows/boondocks/comic/ and it gets me thinking about the way we eat in America. Specifically, the pure enjoyment I get from a giant plate or plates of Mexican, soul food, Italian, or anything burnt or fried. Hell, I love a big salad as long as it's big! Interesting the way I equate a full stomach with happiness, love, familial solidarity, friendship, etc. We ain't happy in our home if we're not overfeeding you like someones' grandma.
My whole family has suffered the effects of the standard American diet, and yet at the annual party I throw we buy enough food for 50 when 20 show up.
What makes this really strange is the juxtaposition between bike racers and the rest of America. Bikey/endurance maniacs have the weirdest attitudes towards food of all, kind of a love/hate thing. In my family and at my blue collar workplace I'm "skinny", always being offered food and treats. I hang around with my bike buddies and I get the "hmmmm, if you could cut up a little more" kind of look. Ridiculous to see my 190 lbs on a 650 cm tri-bike. Think of a trained animal riding a trike around a ring inside the big top, heh heh.
Anyway, I'm not saying what is right or wrong for anyone else, nor do I really understand this all too well for my own self. I think people need to be happy with themselves however they are. I also respect a persons' goals and striving for change- I've lost a whole lot of bodyfat and gotten a lot healthier since I started this journey 9 years ago.
Strange how the things that we can love the most can also kill us- just something rolling around in my head while stuck on the spin bike...

2 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Like Nate, I am trying get back down to my birth weight :-)

Chico Cyclist said...

Yeah, I agree. When I was at 210, I felt horrible.....I mean, just physically. It was tiring....and I felt like I had no energy. But at 165, I felt great.....tons of energy. But now, I really need to dump off some weight and get back to that 165 place again....just feels better overall. And I think that's a good thing. The corndog diet really did a number on me. But, hey, the journey will be a good one.