Friday, July 13, 2007

You Feed Us Lies From The Tablecloth

Mmmmmm a rest week, feeling good and perky.

Dropped off my trusty wagon today for a little service in San Ramon and headed to Diablo for the first long threshold test of the season, I hoped for a PR, frankly.

Weight is decent, strength is through the roof, and the last time I went up there in the middle of a training week I PR'ed the first time up, now I'm sporting a compact set of rings until the Shasta ride is over, and I figgered it would only help, sooo?

No cigar, I worked hard at my threshold, had a nice EIA attack halfway up ( no puffer, my rule for training rides, maybe time to rethink the rule) and couldn't push the gear needed for the speeded. Still ended up 4 minutes off the PB , and definitely not a happy camper, but that's the beauty of the local climb and proving ground, there's no bullshitting a clock.Step up or shut up, and I'll be shutting up, laying off the Kinders', and eating more leaves......

There's always a silver lining, though, and while un-cycling related,it brings me happiness....
The Garlic has sprouted!

Thanks Fanelli, I did it!

The Tomatoes are coming in, long strings of Roma's, some nice Early Girls, and a Black Heirloom that should be beautiful with some Buffalo Mozzarella tossed with vinaigrette .

Corn is 7 feet now, and starting to seed, soon every one I know will have a bag on the doorstep :-)
Labs are bringing pears in to eat every night...

One last gardening note- I planted a dwarf nectarine 3 years ago, today I got the first sweet little fruit off it!
The tree is so full of fruit it fell over and I had to stake it today, another week of sunshine and we should be edging off the Safeway grid a little........

Good luck to all the racers at Lafayette, maybe I'll come out to say hi......
J

4 comments:

Ron Castia said...

Hey Gianni, you will need to start shaving some muscle off those guns attached to your shoulders. I had a new PR this weekend, 134 on the scale-o-meter. 130 here I come.
Lower lows, and lower highs.

But maybe I'll ride the Ritchie Carbo-clinchers at Shasta. They are on the weighty side.

What's on the menu for Saturday's ride? Something above a buck, with some climbing. Miles has had enough with the stupid crits. Miles McClimbsolot wants mountains.

Gianni said...

Dunno,
I was kicking around the HOP, not that I really LIKE that ride, but it is local.
I was lobbying to roll with the OAkdale boyz, but G is down at the moto GP, ummmm, motoing?
I like their brand of suffering ,ya know?
2 week block before Shasta, so some big yum yum climbs are where it's at.
Hamilton reversed?
Fruit stand and MR morgan meets the devil.
HOP, Diablo, and Morgan.
Get angry.
I'm getting dizzy.
And I have plenty more middle aged paunch to lose before the pythons come into the equation...
Though in my other world, the pythons are considered garter snakes....

Ron Castia said...

I do still have an itch in my craw for going up the backside of Hamilspank.
Diablo Morgan has promise too.

We need to get Galoopy out here for some sufferins.

Marco Fanelli said...

Congrats on the garlic and nectarine... A bit more tangible than hitting (or not) some threshold test result, eh?!?