Saturday, June 07, 2008

Sierra Century and a Williams Wheel Story

Ummmm, I shoulda inspected the profile a bit more before clicking yes, especially with the whole MTB racing team going.

Always either up or down, not a easy day for a crit monkey.

The up was steep and the down had holes with steep.

Ejected the PT CPU on one of the damn bumps, but I found it in the bushes and it's all good.

The data is all there which is good because I'm fascinated on geeking out with the WKO and getting the CTL up, how many TSS points, etc. Great way to train and my hour power has risen every week and is the highest ever .

My Williams story- I have some 30X's with a PT that Keith built up for me this winter, my first PT wheel and the wheels have been phenomenal, I raced them through the Valley swing and at Madera, just loved them.
The back one developed a squeak after I skipped a pedal at Visalia, although I couldn't find the source. The rim was true, the hub was OK( good to check this though, I hear it is a common problem with PT hubs to be loose), and the spoke tension was perfect on the drive side with a few off tensions on the non- drive side.
My only guess was the spokes rubbing a bit, and I tried a few different things with that, oiling the j-bends and crosses, but I still couldn't track it down.
Swiss DT 14/15 spokes as well, usually very reliable.

I called Keith on a Monday afternoon and he called me back a half hour later. I really was just curious if he had seen anything that solved this and could help either me or my LBS, who was a bit confused as well.
After talking a bit, Keith offered to rebuild it and check the rim, just to get those variables out of the way, then mentioned he could come by and pick up the wheel on his way home- WOW!
My teammates have had several stories of the fantastic service, but this was a new high point.
I headed out to Stockton on Friday afternoon and picked up the wheel at Keith's' home office, I visit my dad every week anyway and I was headed to Escalon/ Oakdale for a team thing so this was perfect.
Keith had the wheel ready to go and I popped the cassette back on and rode it all day at Sierra ,very rough pavement, banging through holes and shaking the old fillings loose.
Not one noise.
Not one.
I lost a water bottle cage, some allen bolts, and broke my PT mounting bracket.
But the wheel was flawless.

Hmm, will Miz C let me have some 50 carbons?

5 comments:

Manley Man said...

My PT is squeaking too. I'm going to try a few things, but hopefully it will work itself out.

As for your PT mount, mine broke as well a few weeks ago while ridding on some rough roads. Time to send it back for a replacement.

Gianni said...

Hi T & M-

the lower mount can be had cheaply from Tri-zone for about 10 bucks, I plan to get a couple.
I have seen some people with rubber bands like from asparagus wrapped around them on hard bump- fests- I may try that too.

The hub- make sure the hub is snug, though. the bearing races and the 18mm cones on the sides can get loose easily.

Just glad it survived, I hate not having the damn thing now.
I'm such a geek.

Manley Man said...

I think for us power training geeks using a powermeter is addictive. I keep telling myself that one of these weekends when I go on a long ride I will put black electical tape over my PT display so I can't see it...and just enjoy the ride for what it is.

Johnny GoFast said...

When the cost of a set of wheels is more expensive than your first car...assuming you bought a piece of shit like the rest of us...you know as well as I do that there is no way Mrs. C is going to let you buy those wheels. At least not at first. You'll need to do the slow work on her, fold some laundry, give her some "bizness time" at night, pop a tear or two (works on my wifeage--see new SWorks Cross Bike coming my way), etc. I envy you for even dreaming that big.

Gianni said...

Abject begging and perhaps a bike sale or two?

A new Dyson vacuum appeared yesterday- at least equal to half a set of carbons, and definitely less fun.......