Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Yin to the Yang



I started with a nice day at the track Sunday, my first open session on my new quasi- track bike cobbled together from spare parts and craigslist OPJ- other peoples' junk.




Big fun, some hard efforts interspersed with wrenching a bit, then zoomed down the 880 to the salt mines of Oakland... then headed east.




This was my afternoon in Lafayette- "a little smoke behind the truck on the freeway, oooh, better pull over somewheres safe out of traffic, oh my, that's a lot of smoke, better stop here and grab whatever I can carry".




Note- those little fire extinguishers you carry around in a car only piss off a real fire, it was like shooting a grizzly with a squirt gun..




This is the aftermath-

Damn, my old copies of Road, a old training log, and all my spare clothes were incinerated.

It was a cold rest of a night with only one sweatshirt....

Just happy to still be here, hopefully the karma wagon has gone full circle now......

7 comments:

Merkeley Bike said...

Dang!!!

Glad you're ok. That must have been a big fire.

Allison Krasnow said...

ok, i need clarification. was that your EBMUD truck on fire as you drove it??

good grief!

Gianni said...

Yep, the smoke was coming out on the freeway, I got it off the road safely at Acalanes and got it stopped as the cab filled up with smoke.

Hopped out and saved what I could, but mostly just saved my own ass.

Meeting tommorrow with the mechanics to see if they have any ideas...

Ron Castia said...

Those are pretty spectacular photos.
The kind of thing you never really consider will happen to you.

Jesus!

Glad you are OK.

~ lauren said...

WoW! that's crazy.

glad you're ok. fire is SCaReY sometimes.

Ron Castia said...

BTW:
I curious about how much pollution was created by the fire that the smog control unit caused.

Irony...

EB said...

Holy cow. There's something you never want to see!

Glad you made it out of there.