Sunday, January 07, 2007

Skinsuit

Photo credit: VB


Well, a long season of cross is in the bag and a few thoughts are in order..





It started out good up in the caldron of Sacramento in September, hot, rocky, and dusty, but very promising.





Doing a progression of plyo and short runs really helped my running for 3 months or so, even though most of our courses especially early don't require any real running.Even so, it was definitely a big confidence builder for me, knowing this big fella could move a little.





I learned a proper dismount this year, then flipped the brakes to even do it better. I learned a lot about equipment this year, what works, what doesnt. I finally ditched the crappy Avids on the last race of the year and ponied up for some froggleggs and I can't believe the difference.


The boys at Montano Velo turned me on to some sweet tires, PAnaracer Crossblasters, that worked exceptionally well all year. With some special tubes, not one flat and I ran them relatively soft.


My handling skills got better and better, funny, after taking our skills clinic and refreshing the road skills, more of that transferred over to the dirt than I expected. I found myself countersteering a whole lot on dirt roads with no evil aftereffects.


Races I liked- Surf City rocked. I wish I could have made more of them.


CCCX has that great Crooze vibe, Rod on the mike, no frills, but real cool courses.


Sac-town has some cool stuff, and I hear next year a new promoter is going to take over. I'm going to do more of their stuff next year.


Pilarcitos I am cursed at. Maybe I need to learn how to ride bumps better. I definitely need to ride sand better. The deal with the kids in the 35bs and the asinine behavior in general of one or two individuals really turned me away. There's a good chance with my new program of only doing races I like I may not be back.


Moving up to the a's mid-season has been a hard kick in the stomach. Groveling in the back after the first lap is hard hard hard on the ego. Now I see why so many guys stay in the B's for years, it's a big jump in all areas, at least it has been for me.


Groveling and gut-kicking are what bike racin' is all about, so don't think it's all a ploy for some cry-towels here.. The b's used to lap me when I was a C. One day I got tired of dodging the pile of loons on the run-up and moved to the B's. The racing never gets easier, just faster. Thats what my fast friends say, anyway.

I'm already looking forward to next year. A little road racing with my roadie-bastard buddies in the Valley for a couple of months or until complete fatigue and burnout set in,then some rest and strength work in April and May, and a nice resetting of the schedule to focus on the dirt.

I hear the rollers calling me.....

5 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

come out to the CalAggie crit and experiment with some of that form.

cheap and safe. well, safer (by far) then those damn EB crits.

Ron Castia said...

He'll be there, we have Gianni signed up for every race we can sneak him into.

Gianni said...

I'm all over it, fellas. Cal Aggie last year was excellent racing. I like all that runnin' and gunnin' in the open 35+.

X Bunny said...

we are thinking of bagging the pilarcitos races too

who is taking over the sac series?

Gianni said...

I have heard Rich Maile. Nothing against the Elgarts, promoting is a hard thankless job.